Thursday, August 26, 2010

Backpacking Trip

A few weeks ago our family took a backpacking trip way out into the middle of nowhere Montana. It was an amazing trip to go on and the hike (in Mom's words) was grueling. Carrying a 30 pound pack, for 5 hours, up a trail that has hardly been used, and sometimes the trail being so steep that you had to crawl on your hands and knees does get tiring, but it was worth it! We thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for next summer... although we would like to stay for more than one night next year. We took several pictures trying to capture the beauty of God's creation, but I'm not sure that they will do it justice. I hope you enjoy the picts. :)
Our destination was right up beneath that rugged mountain

No worries, I haven't turned into a tree hugger :) I was amazed at the size of this tree. Actually, more amazed that the rocks above it hadn't fallen down and taken the tree with them!
Cat Lake

The Lake is so clean and blue.
The camping area

Our campsite

This is a rock slide off to the side of the camping area. It is fun to sit there at night and listen to the rocks rolling down it (from a safe distance of course)

Dad and Mom found the perfect spot to relax for the afternoon. They even caught a few fish :)

This is the first fish Mom has ever caught. She was pretty excited!
The one nice thing about this lake is that you can almost count on catching fish. I got one on my first cast. I'm not very patient when it comes to fishing, so that is the way I like to do it! :D

This picture amuses me because our dog insisted on watching while we were taking pictures.


The thing I like most about this trip is that it reminds of how wonderful a Saviour we serve. Our God is an artist who has never made a mistake! When I sit there and look at all the beauty he has created it makes me want to serve him as much as I possibly can. It is incredible that he would make all of this amazing creation for us to enjoy. Even more amazing is that he would send his only Son to pay the penalty for my sins so that I don't have to make the payment. What a wonderful gift he has offered to us!
As I travel through this land all the beauty I behold

from the glory of the mountains

to the mysteries untold.

How I marvel at the wonders that my God has set in place

I'm reminded he's the only one deserving of my praise!
Let the rocks cry out
if I don't lift my voice
All creation shout!
the glories of his name

Lift your eyes to the skies

see his banner lifted high!
Praise the name of Jesus Christ
Lest the rocks cry out!

7 comments:

Anna Banana said...

There are no words adequate enough for God's creation. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing these.

Joanna Grace said...

Wow! Beautiful lake! I'm impressed Lauren, you're sleeping in a tent. . . give yourself a few months and you'll be sleeping under the stars. lol.

Hartley Family Blog said...

hahahaha Joanna! LOL Let me tell you, even in the tent I was frozen. I couldn't wait for morning so that I could get up and have hot chocolate! :D

Hey, we need to get together. Can you guys make it to our Labor Day picnic?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVE the pictures! =)

"Praise ye the LORD, Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints." =) ~

Joanna Grace said...

is the picnic on Labor Day? If so, I should be able to come right after work (about 2 or so). . .

Hartley Family Blog said...

No, we decided to have our Labor Day picnic on Columbus Day this year instead... lol Yeah, next Monday. I think everything will start around noon. I hope you can make it. Maybe we can actually get some volleyball going too Btw, I saw you this morning. :D

Amy Black said...

Those are beautiful pictures! I really enjoy the North Western part of Montana.